Monday, December 30, 2019

12/30/19



Hello friends and family and HAPPY NEW YEAR. This week was great. I wanted to start out with some funny stories.

So to start out earlier this week while me and my companion were visiting some inactive members it was really dark and we had just knocked on this person's door.  No one answered so we were going to leave a card with a scripture and note inviting them to church. It was really quiet while this was all happening for like a couple minutes, then out of nowhere a ton of firecrackers started going off behind us on the other side of the street. It made me and my companion jump for a second but after it was really funny. We thought it was a gun or something but it was all good. A couple days ago we were helping get ready for a baptism and no one knew how to play the piano but I did so I said I could play and so I got put on the spot and the baptism was like literally in 10 minutes. So I basically winged a couple of songs on the piano that I didn't even know how to play. The first song was really good but when I played the second song everything went downhill. I basically played the introduction twice and then lost where I was for the rest of the song but it was really funny because I was trying to stay with everyone singing but I sounded really bad. It just goes to show that you should probably practice before you start playing in front of people haha. After the baptism everything else was good. 

The rest of the week was really good. We had service at the food bank and helped sort food and move food. We moved it all so that it was ready for the trucks. Most of our mission zone was there so there was like 20 missionaries. 
I finally read the whole Book of Mormon and honestly it was really good. I'm planning on reading it again and in Spanish too. It's perfect because of the New Year. I know it is possible to read it. If you read maybe a page or 2 a day you'll finish it fast. We did have 2 baptisms since last week and that was really awesome for our district. We have a couple other people on date and that's really exciting. We haven't had a whole lot of time to go tracking or finding new people this month but now that the holidays are over it should be moving a lot faster. We also had trainers training meeting this week too so we went half way to Austin. We counseled with our mission president and learned on ways we can use technology and other stuff. After we started heading back we went to a gas station called Buc-ee's. It's basically the biggest gas station ever. It has like a 100 gas pumps and a giant store. It has its own logo and everything. That was really fun but we only stayed for like 30 minutes so I'll have to come back there again sometime. 

In 2 Nephi 31:20 I liked it because it basically says that if we press forward with steadfastness in Christ and feast upon his word and endure to the end we will have eternal life.
I know that we can all live forever if we follow Jesus Christ's example and follow his teachings. I'm grateful for my Heavenly Father and all that he does for me and others. 

I hope y’all are having a great week and I can't wait to email y’all again next week.

These are some photos of Buc-ee's, and us serving at the food bank. I'll try to get some better photos next week.






No comments:

Post a Comment

 9/27/2021 1. And it came to pass that I, Elder Orson Portlock, having seen much success during my ministry in San Antonio and having grow...