Tuesday, April 20, 2021

 4/19/2021

Hey everyone! I hope you had a great week!

This week was pretty busy. We had a lot things happen. 

On Tuesday we had a few visits with some people that we are teaching. One of them is Dean and Mercedes. They are an older couple but super kind. Their house is decorated super cool and reminded me of a futuristic house mixed with a house from the 60s or something haha.

On Wednesday we had another service project and lesson with Vicki! It was super fun and we got to read more of the Book of Mormon with her. We had to go early but she said she would try reading on her own. We had mutual that night and we got a ride with one of our members in the ward. Their names are the Kimball’s and they are so amazing. Brother Kimball gave a ride in his porsche to the church. It was one of the funest rides ever! For a moment I felt like I was in a rollercoaster haha. We played spike ball with the Priest Quorum. 

On Thursday we had to move apartments sadly because the mission wants missionaries in their own apartments. Luckily our other apartment unit was really close. We have been cleaning and de-cluttering the new apartment a ton lately because the missionaries in the past didn't do a great job about keeping it clean. Good thing I like to be clean haha.

On Friday we had more lessons with our investigators.

On Saturday we had a miracle! Or at least we were the miracles. There were 2 baptisms that day and they were about an hour apart. The first baptism was super great and a wonderful experience. But someone unplugged the font so it started draining. About an hour later, me and Elder Sherman were finishing up some studies before the second baptism. We were in a room by ourselves and then suddenly bishop Clark burst open and blurted out "Elders we need a miracle" as he continued to explain that the baptismal font was empty and the baptism starts in 5 minutes, We got up immediately and scrambled over to kitchen to fill up buckets from the faucets to try to add water more quickly into the font. It would work but would take a very long time. I suddenly got the idea to use the custodians closest. It had a bigger faucet than the kitchen did and was even closer to the font. We grabbed giant 5 gallon Gatorade buckets and began filling them up with bishop and going back and forth to fill up the font. Eventually it was just me and Elder Sherman. We used a trash can and filled it up so we could carry a larger amount of water to the font. I had to go for a moment to give the opening prayer and then got back to work. Elder Sherman was drenched from water but we were having success. About 25 minutes later the font was almost full and we decided to let the font fill up on its own for the rest of the time. It was perfect timing for the baptism to take place. Everything turned out okay and we were so glad we were there to help. Bishop Clark was amazed and so grateful for our help and us being willing to do that. He took us out to lunch afterwards. It was definitely a miracle I felt as well. I'm so glad I was there to help and be part of that event. My testimony has grown a lot this week and I feel so much happiness knowing that I'm making a difference. 

That’s about it for me this week. I hit 18 months so I have 6 more to go! I'm very grateful for the work I'm able to help in. It's definitely rewarding and I'm so excited to keep helping others come closer to Christ.

I hope you all have a great week and I'll talk to you later!  

Pictures for the week:

1. Me and Elder Sherman found a grocery basket in our apartment complex.

2. We found an earthworm snake while doing service.

3. We were helping out with seminary on Wednesday and were playing a game called missionary tag. 

4&5. Me and Elder Sherman with Brother Kimball in his Porsche.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 9/27/2021 1. And it came to pass that I, Elder Orson Portlock, having seen much success during my ministry in San Antonio and having grow...