Thursday, October 1, 2020

 9/28/2020

Hi Yall!

 

This week went pretty fast or in Spanish you could say "Este semana fue muy rápido". I wish y’all knew Spanish, then I would just write all in Spanish haha. Things are going good here in Texas. It has been a pretty hot week in Texas, at least in our Church building. We believe that the air conditioning is not working all the way so its mega hot haha. It sort of works and there was a small fan we found that we put on when we are there, just to get some air flow haha. We are working really good and having a lot of fun though. This last week on Tuesday my companion Elder Lemke and I had the opportunity to go to the temple, well at least Elder Lemke did. I went on an exchange and Elder Lemke went to in to receive his endowment. It was really cool. For the missionaries that were going to get their endowment in the temple, their parents could also come to the mission as well and be a part of it. So many parents were there. One of the missionaries’ parents took four of us out to lunch at this super fancy restaurant. It was a Brazilian steakhouse named Brasão. Their food was really good! I would definitely put that on my list of restaurants to eat at again someday haha. That night we decided to go street contacting and it was super amazing. We found 2 people who were sitting outside in their yard and we starting talking to them. They were super friendly and we shared a small message about families and after we set up a visit for this Friday. On Friday we had a super cool experience with them. We came over around 7 so it was starting to get dark but we met another person who was a friend of the 2 people we met who was over there at the same time. We shared a message about God and his love for us and talked about prayer. We shared a scripture in Alma 37:37 and after the new person we met told us that just about an hour ago he was feeling that he needed some kind of spiritual help or message. By the end of our lesson we were filled with so much love and peace. We set up another visit with them this next Tuesday. It was a really cool miracle that we had this week.

 

On Wednesday we had district council with our new district and that was pretty fun. I was asked to give training about helping our investigators make and keep commitments. I used the “Preach my Gospel” book which has some really great stuff. I love using “Preach my Gospel” because it can help us learn as well. It you have never seen or opened one you definitely need to. It’s awesome. Me and Elder Lemke gave a small dinner message that night and we decided to use the Helaman 5:12 with a can of fruit trick. If you don’t know what I'm talking about I'll make a video for my Facebook page sometime so you can watch it. But basically we read the scripture and talk about how we build our faith and foundation in Christ and then we smash the can on our finger which is placed on a Book of Mormon that represents Christ. Our finger doesn't hurt because we are protected by Christ with a foundation built on him and nothing can hurt us. But anyways during the message Elder Lemke slammed the can down and it shook the table really hard and scared everyone. It was really funny after and everyone couldn’t stop laughing for a minute. 

 

Well those are the highlights of my week. I hope y’all are doing amazing. I miss y’all tons and hope y’all have a super great week!

 

-Elder Portlock 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 9/27/2021 1. And it came to pass that I, Elder Orson Portlock, having seen much success during my ministry in San Antonio and having grow...